2018 Goals & Opportunities for Involvement
As we move through our community action plan in 2018, we will continue building the capacity of Venado’s leaders. Planned trainings include legal requirements for Costa Rican nonprofits, bookkeeping and budgeting, and mobilizing committees to focus on larger initiatives. Every six months we host focused workshops to monitor the progress of our 5-Yr Action Plan and set goals for the following six months.
Envision Venado – Our 1st Community Action Plan
In January 2017 we kicked off off Envision Venado, a 5-yr action plan to achieve Venado’s self-defined goals. It summarizes two years of data collection and workshops held together with the community of Venado to outline their goals, identify their needs, and prioritize projects:
- January 2015: We held a general community meeting to introduce this program and form our first leadership team. We had a series of workshops which focused on what it means to be a leader, to define our principles, discuss changes we wanted to see in the community and identify goals.
- February 2015: We revisited our community goals and discussed how we would measure these goals. We created the first draft for our community survey.
- July 2015: We implemented our first holistic community appraisal. We worked with local leaders to gather baseline data and to start the iterative process of identifying and prioritizing community needs. The appraisal included household surveys (conducted by locals), a focus group, and a community workshop.
- January 2016: We discussed and analyzed the results from the community appraisal during general community workshops. We identified the greatest community issues and performed a root-cause analysis to understand their underlying causes.
- July 2016: Projects were designed to address the communities greatest needs, and were organized in on a timeline. We worked more specifically with the leadership association on goals for the Venado Community Center.
Having so many opportunities for community members to participate in this action plan has made a huge impact in the implementation of our projects. Since the start of the plan in Janaury 2017, Venado’s leaders have led community-wide events, attended a semester of entrepreneurship workshops, led community clean-up campaigns, and many of their own initiatives!